Ophthalmologist Kevin Garff, MD
Meet Dr. Kevin Garff
Dr. Garff earned an undergraduate Honors degree in Biology and his M.D. degree from the University of Utah. He completed his residency in Ophthalmology at Nassau Medical Center in New York, where he served as chief resident. He recently completed a fellowship in Cornea, External Disease, and Refractive Surgery at the University of California, San Diego.
During medical school, Dr. Garff was the recipient of several merit-based scholarships. As a resident, he scored in the 87th percentile of his peers in the American Academy of Ophthalmology Knowledge Assessment Program exam. He has been extensively involved in research throughout his medical career. In medical school, he received an NIH (National Institutes of Health) grant to study ocular blood flow in glaucoma. Dr. Garff has also had multiple peer-reviewed publications on cataract surgery, diabetic retinopathy, ocular pharmacology, and dry eye. He has presented research and lectures to his peers at national conferences, as well.
Dr. Garff is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons. He utilizes the latest techniques in cataract and refractive surgery — including multifocal and Toric intraocular lenses, dropless cataract surgery, LASIK, and PRK. He also performs complex anterior segment surgery techniques, including scleral-fixated intraocular lenses and iris repair. He is trained in both full thickness and endothelial corneal transplants, including the latest technique, Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty (DMEK). Dr. Garff also provides care for dry eye, pterygium, ocular surface tumors, Fuchs’ dystrophy, infectious and inflammatory corneal disorders, diabetic retinopathy, and glaucoma. Additionally, he is fluent in Spanish.
- 08 ∕ 2007 – 05 ∕ 2011: H.B.A. University of Utah (Biology), cum laude
- 08 ∕ 2011 – 05 ∕ 2015: M.D. University of Utah School of Medicine
- 07 ∕ 2015 – 06 ∕ 2016: Internship University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus (Transitional Year)
- 07 ∕ 2016 – 06 ∕ 2019:Residency Nassau University Medical Center (Ophthalmology)
- 07 ∕ 2019 – 06 ∕ 2020: Fellowship University of California San Diego (Cornea, External Disease and Refractive
Scholastic Honors and Awards
- 2018 – OKAP Exam 85th percentile
- 2017 – OKAP Exam 87th percentile 2012 NIH T-35 research grant for the study of Ocular Blood Flow in Glaucoma
- 2012 – Hunter Scholarship (merit based medical school scholarship)
- 2011 – Recipient, Undergraduate Research Scholar Designation
- 2011 – Honors Senior Thesis in Biology
- 2011 – Johnson, Dale & Beverly Scholarship (merit based medical school scholarship
- 2010 – Recipient, Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program Grant
- 2006 – Recipient, Honors at Entrance Full Tuition Scholarship, University of Utah
- 2003 – Eagle Scout
Service and Leadership
- 2018-2019 – Chief Resident, NUMC Department of Ophthalmology
- 2016-2019 – Resident Council, Nassau University Medical Center
- 2016-2019 – Scoutmaster, Boy Scouts of America
- 2013 Chief – Writing Editor – Rubor: Reflections on Medicine from the Wasatch Front
- 2012-2015 – Eye Clinic Manager, People’s Health Clinic (charity clinic), Park City, UT
- 2012-2015 – Volunteer, Maliheh Clinic (charity clinic), Salt Lake City, UT
- 2009-2011 – Assistant Scoutmaster, Boy Scouts of America
- 2009-2011 – Mentor for children of Sudanese refugees, Art Forms
- 2008-2009 – Interpreter (Spanish), University of Utah Hospital
Languages: English (native), Spanish (fluent)
- Garff K, Trief D. Atopic Keratoconjunctivitis – EyeWiki. http://eyewiki.aao.org/Atopic_Keratoconjunctivitis.
- Mughal M, Langevin S, Garff K, Alexander J, Xavier S, Lopez R , Morcos M. The use of intravitreal bevacizumab in the initial treatment of diabetic macular edema (DME) in a resident lead clinic in a county hospital, and comparative cost saving compared to other anti VEGF therapies. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2017;58:1917–1917.
- Schechet SA, Garff K, Klima K, Campbell W, Schocket LS. Acute Retinal Necrosis After Administration of Adalumumab, a Systemic Anti-tumor Necrosis Factor Antibody. Retin Cases Brief Rep. December 2016. doi:10.1097/ICB.0000000000000499.
- Garff K, Jensen JD, Cahoon J, Gupta I, Stagg B, Zaugg BE, Barlow WR, Olson RJ, 2015. Impact of micropulsed ultrasound power settings on the efficiency and chatter associated with lens-fragment removal. J Cataract Refract Surg 41, 1264–1267. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2014.09.049
- Gardiner GL, Garff K, Gupta I, et al. Effect of pulsing ultrasound on phacoemulsification efficiency. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2015;41(11):2560-2564. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2015.06.030.
- Gupta I, Cahoon JM, Gardiner G, Garff K, Henriksen BS, Pettey JH, Barlow WR, and Olson RJ. 2015. Effect of increased vacuum and aspiration rates on phacoemulsification efficiency. J Cataract Refract Surg 41, 836–841.
- Henriksen BS, Gardiner G, Garff K, et al. Thermal evaluation of two phacoemulsification systems. Can J Ophthalmol. 2016;51(1):14-18. doi:10.1016/j.jcjo.2015.10.013.
- Molokhia SA, Thomas SC, Garff K, Mandell KJ, Wirostko BM. Anterior eye segment drug delivery systems: current treatments and future challenges. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2013;29(2):92-105. doi:10.1089/jop.2012.0241.
- Zore M, Harris A, Tobe LA, Siesky B, Januleviciene I, Behzadi J, Amireskandari A, Egan P, Garff K, and Wirostko B. Generic medications in ophthalmology. Br J Ophthalmol. 2013;97(3):253-257. doi:10.1136/bjophthalmol-2012-302245.
- Harris A, Wirostko B, Januleviciene I, Siesky B, Abrams Tobe L, Garff K, Zore M, and Amireskandari, A. Generic Medications in Ophthalmology. Kugler Publications; 2013. (Book Chapter)
- Garff K. A Comparison of Dopaminergic Toxins for the Development of a Drosophila Model of Idiopathic Parkinson’s Disease. University of Utah Undergraduate Research Abstracts, Volume 10, Spring 2010
- Garff K. Studying an Idiopathic Model of Parkinson’s Disease in Drosophila. University of Utah Undergraduate Research Abstracts, Volume 11, Spring
- Garff K, Hallak J, Morcos M. A Multifunctional Device for Low Vision Patients: The Eye-Phone. Poster presented at the: American Academy of Ophthalmology; November 11, 2017; New Orleans, LA.
- Garff K, Morshedi G, Pettey JH, Wirostko B. A Non-interventional Cross-sectional Study Assessing Various Novel Vascular and Diagnostic Parameters and their Relationship to Glaucoma. Poster presented at the: Medical Student Research Symposium; September 13, 2012; Deer Valley, Utah.
- Garff K Developing an Idiopathic Model of Parkinson’s Disease in Drosophila Melanogaster. University of Utah Undergraduate Research Symposium, Salt Lake City, UT
- Garff K, Helmandollar K (2010). Developing an Idiopathic Model of Parkinson’s Disease in Drosophila Melanogaster. National Conference on Undergraduate Research, University of Montana, Missoula, MT
- Garff K (2011) Studying an Idiopathic Model of Parkinson’s Disease in Drosophila. University of Utah Undergraduate Research Symposium, Salt Lake City, UT
Book an Appointment
To meet with Dr. Garff regarding your vision care needs, please contact our practice today to schedule an appointment.